Willow Lettings Logo

Tenant Guides

This page aims to answer some of the questions you may have before and during your tenancy. If at any time you need any further help or advice please give us a call on 0117 911 2022 where a member of the team will be glad to help.

The Deposit

A security deposit is payable prior to moving into the property and is the equivalent to one and a half months rent. The deposit is taken to safeguard the property to ensure that any damages (over and above fair wear and tear) can be made right at the end of the tenancy. As a tenant you are entrusted by the landlord to keep the property in good condition and in good order.

The deposit is refundable at the end of the tenancy (subject to the property being vacated in an acceptable condition) and will be held in a tenancy deposit scheme which protects your money and provides a third party dispute resolution service. You will receive information about the scheme in the tenancy agreement.

The Deposit

All rents are due monthly, in advance and are payable by direct debit/standing order. The amount required to pay will be collected on a set date as set out in the tenancy agreement.

The Deposit



Upon application you will be asked to provide references. You will need to give details of your employer and income, your address for the last three years and some bank account details for a credit check to be undertaken. This is to ensure that you are able to commit to the monthly rental payments.


As part of the application process we will need to see some identification (such as a passport, UK driving licence, national identity card or birth certificate) and proof of residency (such as a utility bill, bank statement or council tax bill from the last 3 months).

Right to rent

It is a legal requirement that landlords check that their tenants have the right to live in the UK before the start of a new tenancy. This means that WIllow Letting will be carrying out the necessary checks on the behalf of all landlords. The checks will be made against all persons who will be residing in the property over the age of 18 years old. As a tenant you will need to provide original ID documents. We are required to make a copy of these documents as proof that a check has been carried out and will keep them on file for the duration of the tenancy.


Once you have found the right property you will be required to complete a simple application form (and put down a reservation fee???). Each person over 18 years old who will be living in the property must complete a separate form. All sections of the form must be completed in full.

Once the completed application form is received we begin the referencing and credit check process.

The tenancy agreement

A tenancy agreement is a legally binding document between you (the tenant) and your landlord. It sets out the legal terms and conditions of your tenancy. Both parties will have to sign this contract to ensure that the rules, rights and responsibilities of both the tenant and landlord are followed and agreed.

Information outlined within the agreement will include:

  • Your name and your landlord’s name
  • The address of the property being rented
  • The start and end date (if applicable) of the tenancy
  • The rental price, how it’s paid and the date payable each month
  • Information on how and when the rent will be reviewed
  • The deposit amount and the tenancy deposit scheme it will be held in
  • The notice period which you and your landlord need to give if the tenancy is to be ended (if applicable)
  • Details of when the deposit can be fully or partly withheld (eg to repair damage you’ve caused)
  • Any tenant or landlord obligations
  • An outline of bills you’re responsible for

Inventory and schedule of condition

Prior to moving in a full inventory and schedule of condition will be prepared. Both parties (you the tenant and your landlord) will agree that the inventory is correct at the start of the tenancy. It is important as it provides great proof should any disputes over damage arise at the end of the tenancy. It will document room by room the condition, cleanliness and contents. We will retain a copy and provide both you, and your landlord with a copy.

Insuring your belongings

You will need to take out contents insurance. The landlord is not responsible for insuring any of your belongings. Nor will the landlord’s insurance cover accidental damage caused by the tenant.

Property inspections

Periodically your landlord or us as the letting agent will require access to the property to carry out a general property inspection to check everything is in order. You will be given at least 24 hours’ notice. You don’t have to be present but can be if you so wish.

This is a great opportunity for you to highlight any maintenance issues that may have arisen. If you aren’t going to be present, you can always leave a note of any specific things you’d like to be looked at.


Utility accounts such as electricity, gas and water will be transferred into your name (the tenant) and meter readings logged at the commencement of the tenancy. However, we strongly advise that you also inform the suppliers to ensure that your details have been received and processed.

You will need to contact Bristol City Council (your local authority) for council tax purposes once you have moved in.

It is your responsibility as the tenant to pay for utilities and council tax

Repairs and maintenance

The landlord is responsible for most repairs and maintenance of the property. This will include any appliances. They will either take care of this directly, or do so via us the letting agent. You will be informed who to go to if/when there is a fault at the start of your letting agreement.

If we are managing the property and something does need fixing you can notify us by calling 0117 911 2022 or by email. We will rectify any maintenance issues as as soon as possible.

We understand that things sometimes do break down or need repairing and that a lot of the time no one is to blame, so please do not hesitate to contact us. The longer you leave it the worse it could get.

You must make sure that you take good care of the property and its’ contents as you may be liable for the cost of any damage or repairs if you do not. If you do damage the property you will be expected to cover the cost of putting this right.