Willow Lettings Logo

Landlord FAQ

Here are some of the more frequently asked questions that landlords ask us. Don't forget
though, if you would like to dicuss anything at all please give us a call on 0117 911 2022.

If you choose a fully managed or rent collection service, a monthly standing order or direct debit will be set up from the tenant. We will then transfer the rent less our commission and any agreed outgoings (repairs etc.) to your chosen bank account. You will receive a detailed statement each month.

If you choose a let only or tenant find service we will provide the tenants with a standing order or mandate for your account directly.

You have a duty of care to your tenants. You need to ensure that your property is safe to live in and this means that any electrical devices need to be safe for use. We recommend an Installation Survey or Portable Appliance Testing (PAT) so you can be sure you are compliant. If in doubt please just ask, we're here to help.

All deposits paid by tenants must be registered with an approved tenancy deposit protection scheme. As your letting agent we can do this for you. The deposit is held with the DPS ( Deposit Protection Service). This is in place to protect the tenant’s money and to protect your property against possible damage which can be checked against the inventory at the end of the tenancy. Information as to where it is held and/or the scheme that it is held in will be laid out in the tenancy agreement.

It’s your choice. You can let your property furnished, part furnished or unfurnished. It depends entirely on your particular circumstances and the type and location of your property. We can offer advice on current market demand and the best option for your particular circumstances. If you do let your property furnished you must ensure that all furnishings comply with furniture and furnishing regulations.

Willow Letting do not charge for a rental valuation. It is free and you have no obligation to sign our terms and conditions and take on our service/s. At the valuation, our fully qualified lettings experts will assess the achievable rental price for your property and also discuss the potential tenant/s and time scales they believe it will take to successfully rent your property. We have a reputation of achieving excellent rents in short timescales.

An Energy Performance Certificate, or EPC for short, is a report detailing the energy efficiency of a property. It gives a property an energy efficiency rating from A (most efficient) to G (least efficient) and is valid for 10 years. All landlords are required to purchase an EPC for a property before they let it. Willow Letting are able to arrange for an EPC to be carried out on your behalf.

Find Out More

Yes. It is very important that you inform your mortgage lender. They need to give you permission before you can let your property, and they may impose special conditions. If you are buying a property with the intention of letting it out, you can obtain a buy to let mortgage.

Unless stated in the tenancy agreement it is the tenant's responsibility to pay the council tax. This will be clearly stated in the agreement. If the property is standing empty, it is the landlord’s responsibility to pay.

An inventory is a detailed list agreed and signed by both parties (the landlord and the tenant) itemising the contents (such as beds, wardrobes, appliances) and condition of the property (such as walls, ceilings, woodwork, doors) at the time of the tenant moving in. An inventory is there to protect your property and its contents. It is important as it provides great proof if any disputes over damage arise at the end of the tenancy.

Yes. At the very least you will require buildings insurance for your property. We can also provide you with information regarding specialist Landlord's insurance. Please don't hesitate to contact us for more information and a no obligation quotation.

Any Questions

If you’d like to talk about our letting services, please call or email our dedicated
lettings team Monday - Friday 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM, Saturdays 9:00 AM to 2:00 PM on

0117 911 2022